Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Autumn Portrait - The Design Is Over


When a friend sent me a copy of The Autumn Portrait's new album, The Design Is Over, I was hesitant to do an album review. Not because I didn't think I couldn't do it. I could, even as a first time review, I think I am pretty non biased in my musical tastes. But what if I didn't like it? What if it was shite? Then what? How do you spin that?

Well I need not worry. I really like this album. Now brace yourself, I'm going to be making some comparisons. Singer Freddie Mojallal's voice is so versatile from song to song you hear different influences in each chorus. From melancholy ballads like "The Light" to Sam Robert's and Cobain's lovechild on "The City" each song builds a great mood for any listener looking for something new and away from classic mainstream radio. Dyllon Mitchell on Bass and Sean Lavoy on drums add to the sound one has a hard time pinning down. I've read several opinions, each one different. From Muse, The Strokes to Kings of Leon, The Pixies to Radiohead, each listener finds their own comparison with all ultimately deciding they like it...whatever it's "supposed" to be.

Modern indie rock is not like it used to be. It's not a sketchy cassette bought at Scratch Records from the early 90's. The music is well arranged and mixed by Tom Dobrzanski ( We Are The City, The Zolas, Said The Whale) with the same quality and sound of any household name entertainer. The difference is the refreshing take on modern music and experimenting with different genres of rock on the same album. Mojallal's voice takes you from "Carousel" that reminds one of early Liam Gallagher, of notorious Oasis fame, and then on to an alterna-pop sound on "A Mile Away" reminiscent of any good soundtrack- in a movie and in real life.

The Vancouver based band, now releasing their first full length album after last year's EP, "The Light" will be performing at HMV on Robson & Burrard this Sunday and on November 20th at The Cambrian Hall. To purchase the album online and find out where you can see Freddie and the guys next, hit up their website, The Autumn Portrait.

No comments: